STR – Hotel Performance – October 2020
County of San Diego
- Room night demand fell by roughly 28,000 from September to a total of 997,060 room nights sold in October. It should be noted that Labor Day weekend in September was the best performing weekend during the recovery, so October’s monthly performance is more in line with demand seen in August, the last month without a major holiday.
- San Diego County occupancy averaged 50.9%, down by 3.1% from September and 32.1% below last October. This ranked San Diego 5th among top 25 markets and 2nd in the western competitive set, behind Phoenix at 52%.
- County ADR was $129 for the month, ranking San Diego 4th among top markets and 2nd in the western comp set, behind Los Angeles at $132.
- RevPAR was $65, ranking San Diego 2nd in both top markets and the western comp set, behind Los Angeles at $66.
- Economy chain hotels faired the best and were relatively flat in occupancy compared to last October, declining by only 0.8% to average 69.2% for the month (down from 72.7% in September). Luxury chain properties increased their occupancy from September by 2.9% to reach 26.4%, the highest level achieved during the recovery.
- Among Upscale/Upper Upscale/Luxury chain properties, Group occupancy was 3.5%, a slight decline from the peak of 3.9% in September. Transient occupancy among the same chain scales was 32.5%, sliding from 35.6% in September.
- Luxury chain hotels improved ADR by $20 from September to reach $264 this month. Every other chain scale saw a decrease in ADR compared to month prior.
- Group ADR rose dramatically from the previous month among Upscale/Upper Upscale/Luxury properties, to reach $219 in October. Transient ADR, however, fell a bit from last month to average $205 among the same the same chain scales.
City of San Diego
- City of San Diego occupancy was 46.2%, a drop from 50.2% in September.
- The best performing regions were Mission Valley at 52.8%, Mission Bay at 50.4%, and North Inland (I-15 Corridor) at 49.8%.
- City of San Diego ADR was $129, sliding from $136 in September.
- The regions with the highest ADR were La Jolla with $235, Mission Bay at $196, and Downtown at $138.