May 2020 Highlights:
- San Diego visitation improved from 300,000 visitors in April to 370,000 visitors in May, which is roughly 14% of normal monthly levels.
- Overnight visitors were about 60% of the visitors, and the majority of those being hotel visitors.
- These visitors spent an estimated $176 million at local businesses, just 18% of the $952 million spent in May 2019.
- Hotel room night demand fell by 64% compared to last May to total 521,125 room nights sold.
- With a room supply on average of 50,050 rooms available during the month, hotel occupancy averaged 36.2% throughout the county.
- The average daily rate at county hotels was $93.75, 44% lower than last May’s ADR.
- SAN received just 97,000 arrivals in the month, only 9% of normal monthly inbound air passengers.
- The convention center, museums and attractions remained closed for the month.
- The impacts of the COVID shutdown on 2020 through May, are a 46% decline in visitors and 57% decline in visitors spending.