The Visit California Poppy Awards are a biennial contest that honors the best and brightest of California tourism promotion. The awards are bestowed in even-numbered years. And, last night, February 23, 2016 in Oakland, California, the industry gathered to celebrate the achievements of tourism organizations in promoting their destinations.
The San Diego Tourism Authority was nominated in four categories this year including Best Overall Marketing Program ($2M & up), Best Content Marketing Campaign, Best Regional Collaborative Marketing Campaign, and Best Public Relations Campaign (less than $20k). Best Overall Marketing Program had two winners – SDTA and our friends at the San Diego Zoo.
And the winner is….
Best Overall Marketing Program ($2M & Up): San Diego Tourism Authority
In addition, San Diego Guide to the Good Stuff, Greg Koch, received the award for California Dreamer of the Year! Greg is the founder and CEO of Stone Brewing Company – a leader in the craft beer industry. Thanks to the support of Visit California, our local partners and Members, and the creative team at Mering Carson for all their help in bringing our campaign to the market and promoting the destination.
Representing the San Diego Tourism Authority:
- Joe Terzi, President & CEO
- Kerri Kapich, Sr. Vice President of Marketing and Strategic Partnerships
- Susan Bruinzeel, Sr. Director of Planning and Research
- Benjamin Eastman, Director of Travel Trade
- Joe Timko, Manager of International PR & Tourism Marketing
- Ted Molter, Chairman of the Board, San Diego Tourism Authority