It’s always great to see our partners achieve milestones with their business. Their success in San Diego provides visitors the opportunity to create great memories in the destination! We are happy to acknowledge so many that are celebrating anniversaries.
SAN DIEGO ICONS CELEBRATE
- On March 21, 2014, SeaWorld San Diego celebrates its 50th anniversary. The iconic attraction’s anniversary includes the unveiling of Explorer’s Reef™, a multi-million dollar renovation effort to the park’s entrance that will not only make entering the park faster but also immediately immerse visitors in an undersea realm complete with sea life touch pools. Explorer’s Reef will open in March 21, kicking off 18 months of celebration activities at the park, including prize giveaways, new shows, animal encounters and more.
- Built on a sandbar between the Pacific Ocean and Mission Bay, the surfside community of Mission Beach celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2014. The year-long celebration commemorating the quintessential San Diego beach town kicks off with the dedication of a bronze monument on March 22 and continues into the summer with surf contests, car shows, outdoor movies and more.
- 2014 marks the 25th anniversary of Old Town Trolley Tours in San Diego. The specialty trolleys offer full-day tours featuring a running narration of San Diego history along with entertaining anecdotes. Guests can enjoy on- and off-privileges at 10 different stops, including Old Town, the USS Midway Museum, Seaport Village, Coronado, San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park and more. For guests not getting off at any stop, the tour lasts two hours. A new tour of San Diego’s popular beaches is available Thursday-Monday, excluding Labor Day weekend.
- The USS Midway Museum is celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2014. The most-visited floating ship museum in the world, the decommissioned aircraft carrier will feature a variety of events throughout the year, and a 90-seat Battle of Midway Theater is slated to open in December.
ARTS, CULTURE AND HERITAGE
- Apr. 26–27 marks the 30th anniversary of the Mission Federal ArtWalk. The free visual and performing arts celebration takes place in downtown San Diego’s colorful Little Italy neighborhood and is the largest art event in San Diego.
- From Sept. 12–14, the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation celebrates the 25th anniversary of the Annual Sycuan Pow-Wow, a traditional celebration featuring Indian song, dance, arts and crafts, games and food, held at the Sycuan Reservation in San Diego’s East County.
- From Sept. 20–21, San Diego’s Pacific Islander Festival celebrates 20 years honoring the indigenous people of Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia. Held at Ski Beach on Mission Bay, the festival showcases native foods, crafts and customs to educate visitors on Pacific Islander culture.
- Oct. 11 marks the 20th anniversary of the Little Italy FESTA. This colorful Italian celebration features music, fine food and “Gesso Italiano,” a traditional Italian street-painting festival, held in downtown San Diego’s Little Italy neighborhood.
ROLLICKING GOOD TIMES
- From Apr. 25–27, the Lakeside community in San Diego’s backcountry celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Lakeside Rodeo. Bareback bronco rides, calf roping and other traditional rodeo competitions, along with food and crafts, bring the Wild West to life in Lakeside in San Diego’s East County.
- From Jul. 19–20, San Diego will celebrate its 40th annual LGBT Pride Parade, Rally and Festival. One of the city’s largest grassroots organizations and presenters of the second largest pride festival on the west coast, San Diego LGBT Pride sponsors a weekend of festivities including a headlining parade through Hillcrest and two-day festival in Balboa Park.
- The 20th annual San Diego Festival of Beer goes on tap Sept. 20 in downtown San Diego. Sixty local and regional brewers will be in attendance, providing samples and tastings of their signature and award-winning beers. The event will also feature live music, vendors, food booths and more.
- From Nov. 26–30, the America’s Finest City Dixieland Jazz Society celebrates the 35th anniversary of the Thanksgiving Jazz Festival. Lasting throughout the Thanksgiving weekend, the jazz festival features world-class bands at the Town & Country Hotel in Mission Valley.